Senate sets Naga hearing on split Camarines Sur bill
By Juan Escandor Jr.
NAGA CITY—The Senate Committee on Local Government will hold a hearing here on the proposed division of the two-city 35-town Camarines Sur province into two provinces today, August 2.
Ramon “Eki” Cardenas, chief of staff of Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. who chairs the Senate Committee on Local Government, said the public hearing will “discuss the merits of the whole thing” (the creation of new province called “Nueva Camarines”).
Cardenas said the hearing is to be held here as per request of the contending parties and it will be the last hearing on the proposed division of Camarines Sur.
The proposed division of Camarines Sur is being pushed by Representative Arnulfo Fuentebella, main author, and Representatives Luis R. Villafuerte, Diosdado Arroyo, and Rolando Andaya Jr.
Camarines Sur Gov. Luis Raymund “LRay” Villafuerte and fifth district Representative Salvio Fortuno oppose the move.
The Lower House approved last year HB 4820 that carves out from the present Camarines Sur the fourth district towns of Caramoan, Garchitorena, Lagonoy, Presentacion, San Jose, Siruma, Tinambac, Goa, Tigaon, and Sagñay and the fifth district towns of Baao, Balatan, Bato, Bula, Buhi, Nabua, and Iriga City to comprise Nueva Camarines.
Presently deliberated at the Senate Committee on Local Government, the proposed division of Camarines Sur had two hearings in Manila and the hearing here will be the last before it will be submitted for approval by the Senate and President Aquino.
The creation of the Nueva Caceres will only take effect after the voters in Camarines Sur ratified it in plebiscite after the approval by the Senate and the Office of the President.